Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Why I Love “Ol’ Man River”


By: Tabitha Garnica

“He must know somethin’ but don’t say nothin’.  He just keeps rollin’, he keeps on rollin’ along.”~ Show Boat

This song is absolutely breathtaking.  Show Boat is a musical that starts off as a simple happy-go-lucky musical, but then it takes a turn and discusses racial intolerance.  Julie, the star of the Show Boat, has just been discharged because it has been revealed that she is half African American.  Joe, the African American who works on the boat, bids her farewell and sings this ballad about the Mississippi River.  The river is symbolic for the freedom the African Americans hunger for.  

1 comment:

  1. I love it because my grandfather used to regularly sing it before I had a clue what it was about. It's amazing in context, though, and reminds me of Huckleberry Finn, which is one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete