Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

What I Think about Carrie Underwood playing Maria in “The Sound of Music” Remake


By: Tabitha Garnica

“How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria” ~ The Sound of Music

I always find interesting the difference between casting for live theatre and casting for movies.  In live theatre there is no auto-tune and it is much harder to hide weaknesses. On Broadway, someone has to be equipped to give a solid performance 8 times a week.  In movies, not only can you auto-tune; you can do a complete voice over i.e; Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and Natalie Wood in West Side Story.  Additionally, all they have to do is give one good take, and they are set forever.

Using pop stars and movie stars for movie musicals is not always popular among the theatre world.  I know many people got upset when Zac Efron was chosen to play Link in Hairspray.  Additionally, when Marlon Brando was set to play Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls, many people were not happy with the final product.  However, sometimes it works.  I have never heard anyone complain about Catherine Zeta-Jones in the movie Chicago.  I have heard mixed reviews about Russel Crowe playing Javert in the upcoming movie Les Misérables.  No one seems to be too nervous about Hugh Jackman, but of course, he is a Broadway man.
 
When I first heard that Carrie Underwood was slated to play Maria in a TV remake of The Sound of Music I was not sure what to feel. 

When I really thought about it, I doubted she had the proper soprano for the role.  I expect her to be auto-tuned or maybe have the keys transposed. 

The pop world makes their living off auto-tune.  Yes, many of them do have real talent.  I know Underwood won American Idol which does not include auto-tune.  However, pop singers can really get away with a lot.  They make albums hiding their flaws with technology and then get cast in a leading role in a musical that someone on Broadway worked their vocal cords off mastering.  If Underwood were to audition for this role on Broadway, this would probably be a different story.  Not to mention, I have no idea if she even acts well. All in all, movies seem to be more about the name and Broadway is more about the talent.  That is why I have so much more respect for Broadway performers.

Putting Underwood aside, I have a question.  Why the heck are they remaking The Sound of Music?! It is a classic! You cannot touch Julie Andrews! That would be like remaking Titanic or The Wizard of Oz.  I just do not see the need.  I wish the movie musical world could come up with new ideas for musicals rather than remaking what is not broken.  Did you know there used to be a time in which movie musicals were made completely originally and WERE GOOD! Bring back the days of Singin’ in the Rain! That musical was completely original.  It had not been on Broadway and it was not a remake.  They better not remake Singin’ in the Rain.  Gene Kelly would turn over in his grave!! But why can’t we come up with our own original musicals without giving it a nauseating sense of corniness or pop (High School Musical)?  They just do not make them like they used to.  Well, I have high hopes for Les Miz at least.  Until then, let us give Underwood a chance, but question what has happened to the movie musical world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment