Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Theatre Superstitions


By: Tabitha Garnica

“I don’t even know what spell I ought to try” ~ Wicked

Theatre people seem to be one of the most superstitious groups I have ever come across. Every theatre group or school I have done a production with has their own pre-show rituals and traditions.  I have come across things such as ripping pieces of lucky charms boxes, praying to a “theatre god”, funny warm-ups, and group breathing exercises. I have also heard many things are “bad luck”, such as reading the playbill before opening night or stepping on stage with your left foot.  Why are theatre people so superstitious? The weird thing is that most people who are superstitious when it comes to theatre are not necessarily superstitious in all other aspects of their lives.  What about theatre brings this out in people? In this post I am going to discuss some of the most widely accepted theatre superstitions.

·         Bad Dress Rehearsal = Good Show
I have heard this one so many times.  When people are upset that their dress rehearsal went poorly, someone always says that a bad dress rehearsal is good luck for an opening night.  I somewhat understand the logic in this.  Usually the last dress rehearsal is at the end of a long tech or “hell” week filled with tedious rehearsals.  So obviously, actors are tired and on edge. During opening night, the excitement of an audience brings the energy level up to what it should be. Additionally, there is always logic behind the fact that if you have a great dress rehearsal all the energy will be gone by opening night.  Great dress rehearsals could make actors over-confident.  This superstition does make sense however I do not think it is a rule.  As an actor or director I would not freak out if I had a great dress rehearsal.  Dress rehearsals are meant to prove that the show is ready to be seen by the public.  If a show is truly ready it will be ready no matter who is watching or when it is being performed.  Additionally, if a show is falling apart during a dress rehearsal, it is almost unrealistic (but not impossible) for everything to suddenly be fixed within a day.  At any rate, this is a superstition that I respect.  However, I do believe it is possible to have great dress rehearsals, great opening nights, and great full runs. 

·         The “Scottish Play”
So I dare all my readers to do something.  Go into a theatre filled with actors, and scream out, “MACBETH! MACBETH! MACBETH!” Then, watch the actors stare at you in horror as if you just murdered ten people.  Or, get attacked by them. Either way….it will be an experience.  The Shakespearean play has seemed to be linked to many unlikely circumstances. Therefore many people think that it is cursed. I do not know much about all the stories linked to the superstition.  However, I do know that I have (accidentally) said “Macbeth” in a theatre and nothing has happened. (yet)

·         Hauntings
I have often heard of theatre ghosts.  Whenever someone hears a strange sound in the wings or backstage, someone always refers to ghosts.  This is a phenomenon that seems to be very popular in the Broadway community.   Many Broadway theatres are thought to be haunted by deceased performers.  Patti LuPone referred to the “ghosts of St.James Theatre” when she won the Tony Award for Gypsy. In a backstage tour LuPone mentioned that she heard mysterious screaming backstage, which she fully believed was the ghost of Ethel Merman.  I do not know how what my exact feelings are regarding this superstition.  I do know that theatres can be very mysterious places; especially historical ones.  They are huge, with creepy trapped doors, nooks, crannies, and are filled with open spaces with echoes.  All I can say is that if I were a ghost, a theatre seems like a prime location to haunt people!

·         Break a Leg!
This is definitely the most popular theatre superstition.  Apparently, it is bad luck to say, “good luck!” to a performer before a production.  Good luck is seen as jinxing.  Therefore, it is better to say something that is seemingly bad luck, such as, breaking a leg.  I have never purposely gone against this superstition.  However, it is funny when you accidently say “good luck” to an actor and they look at you as though you just said, “I hope you get crushed by a falling piano!” 

This post is not necessarily meant to mock theatre people and their superstitions.  After all, I consider myself a theatre person myself, and comply with most of these superstitions.  I do not know if I confidently believe in them or even if I confidently disbelieve them. In all honesty, I doubt that most of the people who play into these superstitions truly believe them. They have sort of become part of the theatre culture.  However, I do respect them. When you think about it, these superstitions are basically actors showing their respect for the mystery of theatre.  We do not know how it works.  When we pull it off we have no idea how we do it.  It can only be explained by “break a legs” and bad dress rehearsals.  The truth is theatre is magical.  It cannot be explained in any rational or scientific way.  Whether these superstitions are true or not, it does not really matter.  What matters is that we respect the mystery of the wonder that is theatre. 

--------------------------------------------------
Copyright (c) Tabitha Garnica 2013





            

No comments:

Post a Comment