Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

My First Audition


By: Tabitha Garnica

"Ding Dong the witch is dead. Which old witch? The wicked witch!"
“And I dug right down to the bottom of my soul to see what I had inside. Yes, I dug right down to the bottom of my soul, and I tried, I tried.” ~ A Chorus Line

We all have that “First Audition Story” that follows us throughout our lives.  It is the story in which we are first introduced to the horror- I mean the honor of auditioning.

I had my first audition at the age of 9.  The interesting part is that I was pushed into auditioning by my mother. Now, my dad is responsible for my love for theatre, and my mom thinks I am somewhat of a freak.  Therefore, that is why it is so intriguing that she was the one steering me towards this first audition experience. 

"There is a lady all in white, holds me and sings a lullaby"
She saw an ad on our church bulletin about an audition at a local summer community theatre group for The Wizard of Oz.  When she told me about it, I was very indifferent to the idea. I knew I loved musicals, but I had not actually considered the fact that I could actually take part in them.  My mom persisted and told me I had to audition. When we got home she got out the soundtrack to Les Misérables, which she had recently seen on Broadway, and told me to listen to “Castle on a Cloud” until I had it memorized.  “Come sing it to me when you have it down perfectly” she said.  I vividly remember being in my living room for hours just playing that song over and over again.  It was the first time I took myself seriously as a singer.  Finally, I was able to sing it in front of my mother. 

This is the exact songbook. I still have it today.
The audition called for a photo and a resumé.  My dad made copies of my recent school picture, and devised a resumé.  Looking back, I have no idea what he wrote on it because I had absolutely no experience.  Somehow, it looked full.  It also called for sheet music, of which I had none of, so my mother went to a theatre store in the city and bought me a music book called “Broadway Songs for Kids”, which of course featured “Castle on a Cloud.”

My father took me to the audition, and I was introduced to the world of performing.  I remember being shocked that so many other kids my age were there. I mean, I was the theatre weirdo at school.  This was the first time that I actually realized that so many other children out there shared my passion.  I remember how I could pick out the girls who were auditioning for Dorothy.  They were a few years older than me, and they wore blue outfits, and pigtails. 

I remember shaking of nerves because I had no idea what was going on and everyone seemed so intimidating.  I was also coming to grips with the fact that I was actually going to have to sing in front of people.

 A group of us were called in for a dance audition.   We learned a routine to “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.” The choreography basically consisted of skipping and hand motions.  I remember having a grand old time and wishing that was all to the audition. 

But alas, there was more.  We all were taken to a separate room into which one by one we were to be called to sing our song.  I went to the back of the line on purpose because I needed time to calm my breathing.  When it was my turn I shyly went in and was faced with a table filled with people and a video camera.  I gave the pianist my music and it was time.  I opened my mouth and this shaky little voice came out.  To make matters worse I messed up the lyrics!

When it was all over I remember I was almost in tears and in my head I was saying, “I am never doing that again!” 

I got rejected, but not because I performed poorly.  The funny thing is that I probably never should have auditioned for that show.  That summer I was going to be away on vacation for three full weeks, and they rejected me because I would have to miss too many rehearsals.  I remember the man on the phone telling me, “It’s alright. You’re young.  You’ll get another chance.”  I was immediately introduced to the phenomenon of rejection.  The good thing is I did get another chance.  But, that is for another post. ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright (c) Tabitha Garnica 2013 All Rights Reserved

Photo Credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment